First opinions on Union authorisation adopted
Corrigendum: For formaldehyde, the Committee proposed that it is approved for product-type 2.
The Biocidal Products Committee (BPC) adopted its first opinions supporting applications for Union authorisation for two products. The Committee also adopted opinions on six active substances for use in disinfectants, preservatives and pest control.
Helsinki, 20 December 2017 – The Committee supported applications for EU-wide access to the market for two biocidal product families containing iodine/PVP-iodine for use in veterinary hygiene.
The Committee concluded on applications for the following active substances in disinfectants, preservatives and pest control products:
- cyphenothrin for product-type 18
- penflufen for product-type 8
- acetamiprid for product-type 18
- cholecalciferol for product-type 14
- formaldehyde for product-type 2
- empenthrin for product-type 18.
The Committee supports the approval of cyphenothrin in product-type 18, penflufen in product-type 8 and acetamiprid in product-type 18.
For cholecalciferol, the Committee concluded that it can be considered as having endocrine-disrupting properties.
For formaldehyde, the Committee proposed that it is approved for product-type 2.
For empenthrin, the Committee concluded that it may not be approved for product-type 18.
The Committee also adopted several opinions addressing requests from the Commission.
- For the first time, an opinion was given to support the Commission in addressing an unresolved disagreement between Member States during the mutual recognition of insect repellent biocidal products.
- The Committee concluded that copper sulphate does not act as an active substance in the product that was considered.
- The Committee concluded that powdered corn cob is eligible for inclusion in Annex I (list of substances that do not give rise to concern).
- Among the substances eligible for inclusion in the review programme which benefitted from a derogation for food and feed (Article 6 of the Review Programme Regulation), the Committee concluded that cheese, concentrated apple juice, d-fructose, honey, powdered egg, yeast (saccharomyces cerevisae) and vinegar are eligible for inclusion in Annex I.
The adopted opinions will serve as a basis for final decision making by the European Commission and the Member States.
The Committee met for the 23rd time from 11 to 14 December 2017.
- More information about the opinions [EN] [PDF]
- Biocidal product-types
- Annex I of the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR)
- Exclusion criteria for active substances (Article 5(1)(d) of the BPR)
- Conditions for derogation from exclusion criteria (Article 5(2) of the BPR)
- Substances that benefitted from a derogation for food and feed (Article 6 of regulation (EC) 1451/2207)
- New endocrine disruptor criteria for biocides (regulation (EU) 2017/2100)
- Further information about the BPC