Why is it important to get it right?
You need to know what your substance is in order to know whether it falls within the scope of EU chemicals legislation. If it does, you might need to fulfil certain legal obligations to continue using and marketing your substance.
Accurate substance identity will help you to:
- Know if you need to register your substance with ECHA or if it is exempted.
- Identify other registrants and potential registrants of the same substance. REACH requires companies to cooperate with others manufacturing or importing the same substance in order to create a joint registration.
- Share data correctly to prevent unnecessary animal testing and reduce costs.
- See if your substance has a harmonised classification or its use is restricted or requires authorisation.
- Benefit from information gathered by others on the impact of your substance, potential uses in the supply chain, and safer alternatives.
Manage your substance safely throughout
your supply chain!
See also under the Regulations section
- Form on the manufacturing process of UVCB substances [PDF] [EN] [Word File.docx]
- Questions and Answers on substance identification
- How to prepare registration and PPORD dossiers
- Getting started with EU chemicals legislation
- Chemical safety in your business - introduction for SMEs [PDF] [EN]
- Support by accredited stakeholders
Help with terminology