Notification to the C&L Inventory
How can I prepare and submit a notification?
The notification can only be submitted electronically via the REACH-IT portal on the ECHA website. You must first sign-up in REACH-IT and create an account to be able to submit your notification:
Step 1: Create your account in REACH-IT. In case you already have an account, it is not necessary to create a new account for the purpose of notification.
Step 2: Create a notification group
The notifiers may also form a group of manufacturers and/or importers and notify their agreed classification and labelling to the Inventory. This step is not compulsory.
The group of manufacturers and/or importers can be created either directly in REACH-IT or using an off-line tool. (Group creator)
Step 3: Prepare your C&L notification
You can use one of the following tools to prepare your C&L notification:
A. IUCLID 5. You can specify all the requested information in IUCLID 5, and create a C&L notification dossier in IUCLID.
- IUCLID 5 allows you to include more than one composition for the same substance (e.g. due to different impurity profiles) and link each composition to a specific classification and labelling. Note that each notifier can submit only one notification per substance and this is the only tool where you can submit several compositions for one substance.
- Previous users of IUCLID 5 may find this practical.
- Also practical for those intending to submit a registration under REACH (e.g. for the registration deadlines in 2013 or 2018)
B. BULK. You can create a bulk XML file containing more than one C&L notification.
The bulk XML file can be created either using the EXCEL tool provided by ECHA or by using the XML schema (this option may be preferred by users with an IT background).
- The bulk XML file allows you to submit notification information for several or a large number of substances defined by their EC or CAS number in a single file.
- XML bulk submission can only be used when each substance is identified either by CAS or EC number and identified by one composition only. In addition, no M-factor or SCL can be set, if it is not already specified in Annex VI to the CLP Regulation for the substance to be notified.
C. ONLINE. You can manually enter the required data in REACH-IT.
- If you only need to notify a few substances and you are not currently using IUCLID 5, an online notification via REACH-IT could be your preferred option.
- This option could be practical for you if you are a SME.
- In the online tool, you can agree with a C&L already notified or registered by another company.
Step 4: Submit your C&L notification
- Having prepared your C&L notification dossier file, you can submit it to ECHA via REACH-IT.
- In REACH-IT, you will be guided through dedicated pages to submit your C&L notification.
To prepare your C&L notification using IUCLID 5:
- IUCLID 5 website is the access point to download the software
To check your C&L notification before submitting it to ECHA:
- IUCLID 5 website is the access point to download the IUCLID 5 plugin that checks your C&L notification (Business Rules check)
To prepare your bulk XML file:
- For basic users: Download the EXCEL tool to create your bulk C&L notifications
- For users with an IT background: Download the XML schema for bulk C&L notifications
To prepare your group of manufacturers and/or importers:
- Download the EXCEL tool to define your group of manufacturers and/or importers:
To submit your C&L notification:
- REACH-IT Portal is to be used to create a company account in REACH-IT.
Other useful information
- REACH-IT section provides practical information on the tool and how to use it.
- IUCLID pages explain how to use the tool used to store information on chemicals and to prepare dossiers for submission.
- Table 3.1 of Annex VI to CLP contains the harmonised classification and labelling.
- Industry User Manual part 6 [PDF]
- Data Submission Manual part 12: How to prepare and submit a C&L notification using IUCLID [PDF]
- Industry User Manual part 15: Manage your group of Manufacturers or Importers [PDF]
- Industry User Manual - Part 16: How to create and submit a C&L notification using the REACH-IT online tool [PDF]
- Technical Questions and Answers on C&L notifications [PDF]
- Practical guide 7: How to Notify Substances to the Classification & Labelling Inventory [PDF]
- Introductory Guidance on the CLP Regulation [PDF]
- Guidance on the Application of the CLP Criteria [PDF]
- FAQ on Classification and Labelling
- Q&A on Classification and Labelling [PDF]