Member State competent authorities as well as manufacturers, importers or downstream users may submit proposals for harmonised classification and labelling of substances to the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
Before submitting a CLH proposal
Before a CLH proposal is submitted, it is recommended to check the Registry of Intentions, which contains information from the parties who intend to submit a CLH dossier to the Agency. This would avoid having two parties submitting a CLH dossier for the same substance.
Preparing a CLH dossier
The CLH dossier shall contain a proposal with the identity of the substance and the proposed classification, including a scientific justification for this proposal. The dossier needs also to contain a justification that action is needed at European Community level for other hazard classes than CMR (carcinogenicity, mutagenicity and reproductive toxicity) and respiratory sensitisers, unless the substance is an active substance in Pesticides or Biocides.
Submitting the CLH dossier
Currently Member States can submit CLH proposals by e-mail or via CIRCA. Industry can submit either by e-mail or by sending their dossier in a CD format.
External support tools
- Introductory Guidance on the CLP Regulation [PDF] [EN]
- Guidance on the Application of the CLP Criteria [PDF] [EN]
- Guidance on the preparation of dossiers for harmonised classification and labelling [PDF] [EN]
- Guidance on labelling and packaging in accordance with the CLP Regulation [PDF] [EN]
- Guidance on Classification and Labelling notification [PDF] [EN]
- CLH report format