Topical Scientific Workshop – Regulatory Challenges in Risk Assessment of Nanomaterials
3rd announcement and registration
23-24 October 2014, Helsinki, Finland
Topical scientific workshops of the European Chemicals Agency aim to foster discussions among academia, regulators, industry and other stakeholders on the possible regulatory impacts that the latest scientific developments may have. An anticipated outcome of these workshops is the emergence of new or improved approaches which may be applied in the implementation of the REACH, CLP and Biocides Regulations.
Aim of the workshop
The Topical Scientific Workshop on Nanomaterials is held on 23-24 October 2014 at ECHA. The workshop aims to bring together experts in the field of risk assessment of nanomaterials to discuss and update scientific principles and guidelines for assessing human health and environmental risks of chemicals substances in nanoform. The workshop also provides a platform for academia and regulators to address how the main long term challenges from the regulatory perspective can be reflected and employed in the current and future research topics on nanomaterials.
The discussions will be reinforced by information of the recent developments and of risk assessment methodologies applied in chemicals management both within and outside the European Union.
The chairman of the workshop, Prof. Wim De Coen from the European Chemicals Agency, will be supported by an international Scientific Committee in the preparation of the workshop programme. The members of the Scientific Committee are:
- Prof. Wim De Coen (chairman), European Chemicals Agency, Finland
- Dr David Carlander, Nanotechnology Industries Association, Portugal
- Prof. Kenneth A. Dawson, Centre for BioNano Interactions, Ireland
- Dr Roger Doome, Industrial Minerals Association Europe, Belgium
- Ms Jenny Holmqvist, European Chemicals Agency, Finland
Chair of OECD WPMN's Steering Group on Testing and Assessment of Manufactured nanomaterials
- Dr Derek Knight, European Chemicals Agency, Finland
- Prof. Frank Le Curieux, European Chemicals Agency, Finland
- Prof. Kai Savolainen, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Finland
- Dr Kathrin Schwirn, Federal Environment Agency, Germany
- Dr Nicolas Segebarth, European Commission, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, Belgium
- Dr Hermann Stamm, European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Italy
- Dr Claus Svendsen, Centre of Ecology & Hydrology, United Kingdom
- Dr Tom Van Teunenbroek, Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment, The Netherlands
- Dr Violaine Verougstraete, Eurometaux, Belgium
Format and topics
The discussions will be held in plenary, panel discussion and poster session formats.
The following topics will be covered in the workshop:
- Challenges in regulatory risk assessment of nanomaterials
- Measurement and characterization of nanomaterials
- Metrology and dose metrics for hazard and exposure assessment throughout the life cycle
- Environmental fate, persistence and bioaccumulation throughout the life cycle
- Read across and categories of nanomaterials
The workshop proceedings will represent an updated review of the current state of the art of nanomaterials risk assessment and include a set of recommendations and guidance for using this information in the regulatory context frameworks.
Download the preliminary programme here.
The official invitations have been sent. If you are an expert in the field of risk assessment of nanomaterials and still would be interested in participating in the workshop, please contact us via e-mail: scientificevents [at] echa.europa.eu.
- Practical Information [PDF]
The travel and accommodation costs for the workshop participants are not foreseen to be reimbursed by ECHA.
- Official invitations
- Call for poster abstracts
- Draft Programme
- Deadline for registration
- Deadline for poster abstract submission
For specific questions, contact: scientificevents [at] echa.europa.eu