Use of this information is subject to copyright laws and may require the permission of the owner of the information, as described in the ECHA Legal Notice.
EC number: 202-627-7 | CAS number: 98-01-1
Note: the following information has been taken from either the finalised and published European Risk Assessment Report, prepared under EU Regulation 793/93 (and therefore considered reliable) or the finalised and published SIDS Initial Assessment Profile, prepared under the OECD HPV Program.
Furfural reacts rapidly with hydroxyl radicals in the atmosphere; this reaction has an estimated half-life of 0.44 days. Nighttime destruction of furfural by nitrate radicals may be important in urban areas. Direct photochemical degradation is expected to occur (Howard, 1993) but no specific experimental data are available.
Furfural is not expected to hydrolyse under environmental conditions. In contrast, furfural is readily biodegradable according to the modified MITI (I) test (OECD 301C) and supporting data demonstrates it is rapidly biodegraded both under aerobic and anaerobic conditions.
Volatilisation of furfural from surface waters is not expected to be rapid since Henry law’s constant for furfural has been calculated to be 0.2 Pa.m3/mol. A Koc of 17.1 L/kg was calculated using a QSAR for non-hydrophobics. These values suggest that furfural is highly mobile in soil. Furfural may volatilize from soil to the atmosphere but this process is not expected to be rapid. Furfural in the atmosphere can be removed by wet deposition.
Based on Level III distribution modelling using EPISUITE (assuming equal and continuous releases to air, water and soil), it is estimated that the majority of furfural released to the environment will partition mainly into soil (53.2%) and water (45.6%) with small amounts to air (1.1%) and sediment (<0.1%). With the SimpleTreat model, the distribution of Furfural in a STP was simulated, showing that the substance will be degraded for 87% and the remaining part will go to the water compartment (13%).
Due to the high water solubility (83 g/L) and the low log Kow (0.41), furfural is not expected to bioaccumulate. Calculated BCF for fish and worm are 1.41 L/kg (Veith et al., 1979) and 0.95 L/kg (Connel & Markwell, 1990), respectively.
Connel DW, Markwell RD 1990; Bioaccumulation in the soil to earthworm system. Chemosphere 20, 91 -100
Howard, P.H. (editor) 1993; Handbook of environmental fate and exposure data for organic chemicals. Volume IV, Solvents 2. Lewis Publishers, Michigan
Information on Registered Substances comes from registration dossiers which have been assigned a registration number. The assignment of a registration number does however not guarantee that the information in the dossier is correct or that the dossier is compliant with Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (the REACH Regulation). This information has not been reviewed or verified by the Agency or any other authority. The content is subject to change without prior notice.Reproduction or further distribution of this information may be subject to copyright protection. Use of the information without obtaining the permission from the owner(s) of the respective information might violate the rights of the owner.
Welcome to the ECHA website. This site is not fully supported in Internet Explorer 7 (and earlier versions). Please upgrade your Internet Explorer to a newer version.
Close Do not show this message again