Registration Dossier

Data platform availability banner - registered substances factsheets

Please be aware that this old REACH registration data factsheet is no longer maintained; it remains frozen as of 19th May 2023.

The new ECHA CHEM database has been released by ECHA, and it now contains all REACH registration data. There are more details on the transition of ECHA's published data to ECHA CHEM here.

Diss Factsheets

Ecotoxicological information

Short-term toxicity to aquatic invertebrates

Currently viewing:

Administrative data

Link to relevant study record(s)

Description of key information

A GLP-study according to OECD guideline 202 is available for a mixture of valeric acid and 2-methylbutyric acid.  These data are supported by a non-GLP study similar to OECD guideline 202 with pure valeric acid.

Key value for chemical safety assessment

Fresh water invertebrates

Fresh water invertebrates
Effect concentration:
45 mg/L

Additional information

Two studies are available to assess the acute toxicity of valeric acid to Daphnia magna. A GLP-guideline study conducted with a commercial mixture of valeric acid (ca. 64%) and 2 -methylbutyric acid (ca. 36%) has been selected as the key study as this study is reliable without restrictions (Klimisch 1). The GLP study with the commercial mixture was chosen as the key study due to the reliability rating and detailed report results which include an evaluation of toxicity due to low pH of the test material. Although the mixture was 64% valeric acid, the remaining 36% was comprised of an isomer, 2 -methylbutyric acid having the same molecular weight and similiar log Kow values ~1.5. ECOSAR v1.00a predicted similiar acute toxicity results for the two substances. The EC50 (48 hours) reported in this study is 88.1 mg/l and was determined from test solutions with no pH adjustment. A preliminary study with the mixture showed that toxicity was reduced with no mortality of test organisms occurring through 100 mg/L after pH adjustment of the test solutions. This endpoint is supported by a non-GLP study conducted with pure valeric acid. The EC50 (48 hours) reported in this supporting study is 45 mg/l.