Want to search for the relevant question and answer in your own language? Change the language in the dropdown menu above.
In your notification you should identify all articles containing the Candidate List substance and provide for each one of them:
- a description of the article and its different integral parts (e.g. coating);
- a description where in the article the Candidate List substance is present, and if applicable, a description of the complex object where the article is joined or assembled as a component;
- if the article is to be used by consumers and/or workers; and
- a brief description of the use(s) of the article, including disposal.
The brief description of the use of the article during its service life, including disposal, should be provided by using relevant use descriptors as explained in detail in the Chapter R.12 on use description of the Guidance on Information Requirements and Chemical Safety Assessment. For articles the relevant descriptors are the following:
- Article category (AC) related to service life of articles containing the substance (and waste stage)
- Environmental release category (ERC)
- Process category (PROC) for production of articles and their use by workers
- Technical function (TF) of the substance in the article
You should also provide exposure-related information when describing the use(s) of your articles, including disposal. You may also wish to include information on the substance tonnage present in the article(s) and on the safe and proper use/handling of the article(s), as well as appropriate instructions for its disposal that you communicate under REACH Article 33.
Similar articles with similar uses can be grouped under the same use description.
The description of the use(s) of your article(s) must be provided in each created service life record created in the
- section Article(s)/Use(s) of the wizard, if you decide to prepare your notification online in REACH-IT, following the instructions in the help text; or
- section 3.5.6 of IUCLID, if you decide to prepare your notification beforehand in a IUCLID dossier and then upload it to REACH-IT; chapter 22.214.171.124. of the manual "How to prepare a substance in articles notification" provides guidance on how to fill this IUCLID section.
The manual "How to prepare a substance in articles notification", which also includes useful advice and examples for an online notification preparation, is available on the ECHA website at:
Further information on the use descriptors can be found on the Guidance on Information Requirements and Chemical Safety Assessment - Chapter R.12 on use description available on the ECHA website at: https://echa.europa.eu/documents/10162/13632/information_requirements_r12_en.pdf/ea8fa5a6-6ba1-47f4-9e47-c7216e180197