Want to search for the relevant question and answer in your own language? Change the language in the dropdown menu above.
Active substances manufactured or imported for use in biocidal products are regarded as registered for the use in that biocidal product in the following situations:
- The active substance has been approved in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 528/2012 ("BPR"), or
- The active substance is under assessment in the review programme of existing active substances established under Article 16(2) of Directive 98/8/EC and continued under Article 89 BPR.
The list of approved active substances is available from the ECHA website:
To check which active substances are in the review programme, please see Annex II, part I to Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 1062/2014, also available from the ECHA website:
An exemption from REACH registration also applies in the following cases:
- The active substance is manufactured/imported for use in a biocidal product which has a simplified authorisation (Article 27 BPR)
- The active substance is manufactured/imported for use in a biocidal product which has a provisional authorisation (Article 55 BPR)
- The active substance is manufactured/imported for use exclusively in a biocidal product which is the subject of experiments or tests for the purposes of scientific or product and process-orientated research and development (Article 56 BPR).
If you manufacture or import a substance for biocidal and non-biocidal uses, you need to register it for the quantities of the substance used in non-biocidal products.