Use of this information is subject to copyright laws and may require the permission of the owner of the information, as described in the ECHA Legal Notice.
EC number: 231-955-3
CAS number: 7782-42-5
Survival and Clinical Observations
- After treatment, the rats were carefully
inspected. During the anesthesia/instillation procedure single animals
had to be ventilated directly after administration of test/reference
- Thereafter, the general health status of
the animals was within normal limits.
- No deaths occurred during the anesthesia
and intratracheal instillation procedure.
- No deaths were observed in the observation
period till sacrifice in any of the groups (vehicle control or
- The macroscopical observations made upon
sacrifice of animals reflect some test item-related effects such as the
particle deposition in the deep lung areas (discoloration), however,
severe test item-related adverse effects were not observed
- Statistically significant differences of
body weight, as compared to vehicle controls, were observed only in the
Expanded Graphite high dose group on day 3 after the intratracheal
- This decrease is considered as a test
item-related effect, however, the body weight development has returned
to normal already on day 7 of the recovery period.
Terminal Body and Lung Wet Weights - (BAL
- Absolute and relative wet lung weights
were statistically significantly elevated in the Graphite groups after 3
days as compared to the vehicle control.
- After 14 days the absolute and relative
lung weights of the Expanded Graphite high dose group were still
statistically significantly different from the vehicle control group.
Bronchoalveolar Lavage (BAL)
- The vehicle control shows values that were
at historical baseline levels.
- LDH, β-glucuronidase and total protein
showed dose-dependent increases in the Graphite Powder groups on day 3
with clear recovery effects on das 14.
- The Positive Control Quartz DQ12 induced a
more pronounced response than the graphite low dose groups.
Total and Differential Cell Counts for
- PMN levels of 12.2% (low dose) and 27.3%
(high dose) on day 3 after treatment.
- After 14 days of recovery for these values
a decrease to 10.9% and 22.8%
- Expanded Graphite showed a slight
inflammatory effect in the low dose group and a moderate effect in the
high dose group.
- After 14 days a slight recovery was
observed, however, the PMN levels were still statistically significantly
- Two different concentrations of the test
item were intratracheally instilled
- Effects and Recovery were compared either
to Quartz or saline (vehicle)
- Body weights, wet lung weight, as well as
BAL parameters were chosen as endpoint
- Gross pathology/necropsy was also
- All animals survived the study
- Effects indicating systemic toxicity were
- At the low dose Graphite showed slight
inflammatory effects that recovered partially within 14 days
Information on Registered Substances comes from registration dossiers which have been assigned a registration number. The assignment of a registration number does however not guarantee that the information in the dossier is correct or that the dossier is compliant with Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (the REACH Regulation). This information has not been reviewed or verified by the Agency or any other authority. The content is subject to change without prior notice.Reproduction or further distribution of this information may be subject to copyright protection. Use of the information without obtaining the permission from the owner(s) of the respective information might violate the rights of the owner.
Welcome to the ECHA website. This site is not fully supported in Internet Explorer 7 (and earlier versions). Please upgrade your Internet Explorer to a newer version.
Do not show this message again