Directorates and units
Directorate I - Information Systems
The IT Infrastructure and Support Unit manages services to ensure the adequacy, availability and performance of ECHA’s IT Infrastructure and products. It ensures the smooth deployment into production and operations of ECHA´s IT systems. It offers support services to internal and external users.
The IT Infrastructure and Support Unit is composed of two Programmes:
- ICT Helpdesk provides support and expert advice to internal and external customers on an array of back office and bespoke applications, managing hardware stock, providing a centralised incident management helpdesk for IT Services; the Programme manages contracts and contractors delivering many of the services, provides project management for Identity Access management (IAM) and reporting on incident management.
- Application Delivery provides support for building and deploying new applications, and is responsible for the full application lifecycle by managing contracts and contractors, delivering the Application management services; in conjunction with providing centralised Change and Release management functions for Directorate I, the Programme also offers long term planning to ensure the applications are secure, performant and compliant with the technology stack; it also delivers the backbone of the IT - which is based around an Infrastructure as a Service platform - but also encompasses Networks, back-ups, Operating Systems and similar infrastructure elements.
The IT Infrastructure and Support Unit:
- Provides end user IT support to internal and external users
- Manages ECHA's IT Infrastructure services
- Manages the IT Applications
- Manages contracts and contractor relationships
The Business Information Systems unit is responsible for the regulatory and scientific software applications required to meet the Agency’s obligations under the REACH, CLP, Biocides, PIC, POP and Waste Regulations.
The Business Information Systems is composed of two Programmes:
- IT Solutions for Industry: covers projects and services enabling Industry to fulfil their duties under REACH, CLP, Biocides, PIC, POP and Waste Regulations. Its main objectives are the high quality and timely release of software and efficient service maintenance for the Submission and Scientific IT tools.
- Data Management Services: design, implements and maintain data oriented IT solutions and services for business intelligence, data integration, data aggregation, Dissemination of scientific information on chemicals and data governance within ECHA.
The Business Information Systems Unit:
- Provides IT tools technical support to in-house and external users
- Performs Business Analysis for new IT solutions and improvement of the existing ones
- Coordinates, manages and steers Software engineering activities
- Performs Software servicing for ECHA IT tools for Industry
- Performs data analysis and supports data governance
- Provides reporting and data integration services
- Manages IT projects
- Manages technical documentation
- Establishes related contracts and manages IT service suppliers
- Ensures implementation of the ECHA IT architectural and security guidelines
- Contributes to the IT architecture work
- Works with Business to find the most suitable and effective IT solutions
The Management Information Systems Unit focuses on the design and delivery of management and administrative information systems and portals. It ensures accurate process analysis, thorough software selections, proficient use of products and platforms to build and configure well-tailored solutions, in view of enhancing the effectiveness and the efficiency of the processes for Agency internal staff, the relevant MS authorities and committee members.
The unit consists of three Programmes:
- Chemical Information Portals (CIP) offers a one stop shop to internal and external users to request services related to Dissemination (REACH, CLP, Biocides and PIC), Portals for Authorities (MSCA, NEA, AB, and Committee members), EU Observatory for Nanomaterials (EUON) as well as EU Chemicals Legislation Finder (EUCLEF).
- Enterprise Content Management & ECHA Interacts works on the projects and services related to content management (Dynamic Case, Document Management, and Knowledge management), ECHA Interact initiative and Odyssey system. In addition, records management and archives fall into scope of the programme.
- Management Information Systems works on the projects and services related to Finance (e.g. EasySign, FIMS), management of the agency (e.g. PMR, time tracking, IQMS), Human resources (e.g. HRMS, MiMa) and other administrative needs (e.g. Event Management, Remedy).
In addition, the unit provides three horizontal services:
- Enterprise Architecture supports projects and services by maintaining good practice guidelines, providing architecture assessments of project vision and initiation documents, and by coordinating the architecture focal point network
- IT and Information Security develops policies and supports projects and services in the practical implementation of the ICT security management principles, security monitoring and reporting, and offers expert advice to management.
- IT Business Continuity Planning supports the projects and services to ensure the right level of IT service coverage, aligned with the business continuity requirements
The Management Information System Unit:
- Performs business analysis
- Performs software engineering
- Performs software servicing
- Manages IT projects
- Manages technical documentation
- Establishes related contracts and manages IT suppliers
- Ensures that ECHA IT architectural and security guidelines are respected
- Supports the management of IT architecture
- Provides IT security services
- Provides IT business continuity advisory service
- Works with ECHA business units to find the most suitable solutions
- Facilitates ECHA’s information management, including security and compliance aspects, by developing related policies and delivering tools and services for their implementation (both internal and towards external stakeholders)