Adopted opinions and previous consultations on applications for authorisation
« Back to Substance List
- Substance Name
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
- EC Number
- CAS Number
- Entry Nr in Annex XIV
- Broad information on use applied for (use name)
- Use of DBP as an absorption solvent in a closed system in the manufacture of maleic anhydride
- Broad information on use applied for (conditions of use and function)
- Key elements on the conditions of uses and functional requirements:
- In the manufacture of maleic anhydride (MA) under technology licensed by Huntsman, the partial oxidation of n-butane in an air stream over a heterogeneous catalyst produces a gaseous mixture which contains MA, unreacted n-butane, water, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide. This mixture is cooled to recover energy and is then contacted with DBP inside an absorber column, where MA is preferentially absorbed from the gas stream into the absorption solvent.
- MA is then separated from the produced mixture via a distillation column. The recovered absorption solvent (DBP) is further treated to remove impurities and finally recirculated in the above process.
- The Huntsman technology prevents the build-up of polymeric tars in the circulating solvent and subsequent fouling of heat transfer surfaces.
- The amount of DBP used in the manufacture of MA is less than 1000 tonnes per year.
- Technical function: DBP is used as an absorption solvent with high boiling point (between 250-350°C), low water solubility (< 100 mg/L), high MA solubility (> 20 wt% at 100°C), and other technical criteria detailed in the Analysis of Alternatives.
- Use applied for number in application for authorisation
- Broad information on use applied for (Use descriptor system)
- Sector of end use (SU): SU 8
Environmental release category (ERC): ERC 4, 7
Process category (PROC): PROC 1, 8b, 15
Product category (PC): PC 2
Article service life: Not Applicable - DBP is used in a closed, continuous process and is not detectable in the final maleic anhydride product by routine manufacturing quality control methods.
- Section 9 and 10 of the CSR (non confidential)
- Analysis of Alternatives (non confidential report)
- Substitution Plan (non confidential summary)
- Socio-Economic Analysis (non confidential summary)
- Consultation Number
- Sasol-Huntsman GmbH & Co. KG
- Application type
- Other consultations on the same/ similar use
- Comments submitted to date
- View comments
- Response to comments by applicant
- Compiled RAC and SEAC opinions
- Minority positions
- Adopted decision